Most Popular Issues
Most Commented Issues
Living Green - A Healthier, cleaner way to freshen air.
0 Comments »
Friday, June 10, 2016
The majority of air fresheners you buy in the supermarket do not destroy odors, but mask them. As for those air fresheners that claim to kill bacteria, our bacteria paranoia is leading us to kill good bacteria while creating strains of drug resistant bad bacteria.
And many commercially air fresheners contain a cocktail of toxic chemicals that aren't healthy for us or the environment. Some of the chemicals you may find: Formaldehyde, a known carcinogen, Phenol, skin and nervous system irritant, Petroleum distillates such as butane and propane and many other dangerous chemicals.
Why not try some healthier and environmentally friendly alternatives you can make and use yourself?
Thanks for reading,
Your Living Green editor
Email the Editor
Here are a few tips for greener ways to help keep your home smelling fresh. Be cautious of how you use some of these ideas if you have young children or pets around the house.
- A simple one, but improving air circulation outside to inside will do wonders.
- A tablespoon of salt in a half an orange with the flesh scooped out.
- 1 to 2 teaspoons natural vanilla extract placed in small containers around your home
- Pot pourri made from lavender, roses or whatever scented plants and flowers you may have in your garden.
- Use baking soda to soak up acidic odors.
Baking soda can also be used as a spray one teaspoon dissolved in cup of water and then sprayed as a fine mist.
- Use vinegar to neutralize alkaline odors. It might be a little smelly itself to start off with, but the initial odor quickly fades.
- A couple of drops of essential oil in an mister full of water sprayed around the house.
- A couple of drops of essential oil on a cotton ball place in inconspicuous places around a room
- Placing citrus fruit or cinnamon in a pot with water and simmer gently for a few minutes will completely invigorate the room.
Login to Add Comment
There are currently no comments, be the first to Add one below!
Copywrite © 2017 Penn LLC